Thursday, January 16, 2014

My DIY Living Room

It occurred to me the when I finished my latest chair project, that just about all my living room pieces have a story.  Clearance this, collected that, DIY from the walls to the windows.  I never thought I would get to the point where I only have a rug to replace and a few accessories to add.  It's been a journey!




The "sketch" image I did the other day using Fotoflexer.com (free and very cool to use) made me jump up and down -- my room is almost done!  Okay, well, my house is never really done, let's be serious, because I am a chronic project person, but you know what I mean. ;-)  It's fun for me to think back to what was, and I thought you might get inspired to tackle your own vision if I shared my stuff with you.

Hopefully, how I changed some collected elements in my room might give you some ideas...


 The F. Schumacher chair, in its original linen, I found at an estate sale last spring and reupholstered it.  I followed that with reupholstering a chair I already had in another room, but didn't work with the green living room I had in my head...



With the chairs done, I felt like a relationship was starting with the clearance sofa we bought several years ago (my next upholstery project, hee hee).

After the chairs, I painted this chest black.  I had picked it up thrifting for $25 about two years ago, and I was waiting to paint it until I decided what to do with my living room.  When I found the green fabrics for the chairs at a steal, I new I wanted the chest, in black, to go between them.



Probably 5 years ago,  I picked up an ugly-finish gold sunburst mirror for $1 at a yard sale, knowing I would use it at some point.  Fast forward, and I thought it would be perfect above the chest, and in between the green drapes that I made this past fall.  It just needed a mix of a couple of Rub 'n Buff colors and voila!  You can see it in the picture below, behind the tree, where the chest usually is...



As for the chair above right, that's the one in my most recent statement chair post (with One Kings Lane).  I gave it a new finish and changed out the fabrics, to create the accent piece I had in my head -- I wanted a blue green that worked off the dining room, but stood out from everything else in the living room...


Even the coffee table was a project.  I wanted an iron frame, and a couple of years ago, I was able to purchase this one so my husband could make a custom wood top, as I didn't like the one that came with the frame.  I married a DIY'r.  The birds of a feather thing.  You know.

Here's the room one final time.  A few more things to note... The artwork flanking the sofa I put together from an Audubon book,  the lamps were a major steal four years ago, the pillows are from 6 Wilson (of course!) and the brown ottoman I got from my dear friend when she was crazy enough to put it out to the curb one day (I confess that will eventually be replaced by a DIY skirted one).


The true point of this post?  Creating a room you love, whether grand or humble, doesn't have to happen in thirty minutes like you see on TV.   In the spirit of "keeping it real" this room took me forever, and it's still not done (and I'm a decorator, go figure!).  In the seven years we have been in this house, it has evolved, gone in a few wayward directions, but is finally starting to come together.  There is value in waiting for what you love, redoing what is good quality, and searching for pieces that can take on a new life.  You just need a little patience.

On another note, check out the January Clearance Sale happening in my 6 Wilson shop, if you need a little happy in this dead of Winter!

Sharing at Three Mango Seeds. and DIY Show Off...

5 comments:

  1. I should be sitting in that living room with you, sipping on something (of course) and talking about your next project idea! It's lovely and I love the Before and After tour of it. Great job, as usual! Oh, and I do think about that ottoman from time to time but it looks quite at home there!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your makeovers are wonderful! I love what some fabric, paint and fabulous design sense and do. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Carol!!! You have such a gift with patterns, textiles and colors!! So excited about our little thing coming up :) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Carol, I love this on-going tale about change.Beautiful room!!

    ReplyDelete