Sunday, September 16, 2012

DIY: Mirror with Metallic Rub 'N Buff

This is my new favorite product (and no, there are no endorsement perks), I just used it and I'm sold!




I picked up this sunburst mirror a couple of years ago at a yard sale for a buck.  Ugly, flat, greenish gold finish (of course I remembered the before picture after I'd started taping)...




This gorgeous fall day was perfect for painting outside, so today was makeover day.  I mixed the Rub 'N Buff Gold Leaf color with the Silver Leaf one.  I was going for a dimensional, patina'd look, and I definitely didn't want a cheap shiny gold.  Sooo, after mixing the tubes in a plastic tray to get the color I was after, a silvery-gold, I started brushing it on.




In the picture above, the inside circles hadn't been touched yet, to show you the color difference.  This stuff has a nice transparency to it, if that's how you want to use it.  I let the paint dry for a minute or two, then went back over it with a clean cotton t shirt scrap to rub and buff.  I did this process twice.

Here is it after the second coat...


 I'm crazy about how it turned out.  Just what I wanted.  It's going in the living room above artwork with a vintage, silvery gold frame.    Here's a close up of the dimension I got out of it...



The great thing about this Rub 'N Buff stuff is that when it dries you can buff it to a beautiful sheen just by rubbing with a soft cloth.

Here's a look at before and after (the after looks much more silver than it really is)...



This baby is going in my living room, and you'll see it once my drapes are up (well, once I decide on fabric and then make them, then hang them....it never ends :)

Have a great week and thanks for reading,
Carol





6 comments:

  1. I love it! What a difference. That first version of gold just wouldn't do!! I'm all about mixing metals right now. Can't wait to see it on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was happy to see this post because I just picked up my first tube of Rub & Buff the other day... I'm not even sure what I will use it on but have heard so much about it that I thought I should have one on hand :D
    Your mirror turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. come on Carol dont make us wait to long to see the mirror in place...looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to do a rubnbuff project yet but it's on my list. Love your mirror's new finish!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete