Sunday, June 10, 2012

Elephant's Trunk Flea Market in Connecticut

How it is, after visiting my in-laws in western Connecticut for the past 20 years, I have never gone to the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market in New Milford, is beyond me.  I have seen the signs, driven by, and even read about it in magazines!  I mean really.  So today, I went.  And I tell you, you have to go.



The Elephant's Trunk has been going on since 1976, and it is widely known among the professional dealer and the decorator alike. 

It's completely impossible to capture the 55 acres that house the hundreds of dealers, booths, piles, food vendors, garden stands and jewelers.   That said, you can see from this image above that the grounds are nestled in the beautiful rolling hills of western Connecticut, a simply gorgeous, quintessential New England area.

Here are some things that caught my eye today...






I'm in regret mode.  Should have hauled off this cabinet for my family room.  I could do amazing things with it.




And this little table made my heart skip a beat.  Sadly, she's still there, too.



So I figured someone was trying to tell me something (as I keep saying I'm going to drop some extra pounds) when this was staring at me.



I love vintage art.  I always look, but rarely buy.




This was how I spent some of my weekend.  It goes without saying that I'm hooked.  The Elephant's Trunk is open every Sunday, March through October.  For 2 bucks admission, it's a lot of entertainment.

Where's your favorite flea market?

Carol

7 comments:

  1. This looks like a fun place to visit. I don't go to flea markets, things just seem to find their way here...but I am always amazed at the great things people find. And what a super place for a decorator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo of the blue bottles is AMAZING. You had a great eye on that one.

    I've never, ever been to a flea market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I would have snatched up that cabinet. Purely divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Elephant's Trunk! We've only been there once. My family lives in CT, but we live in UT so the drive is a bit long :) But, oh, the deals and the fantastic things you can find there! If I had had room in my van that day.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had a great time. Those 2 landscape paintings look wonderful. Antiquing is one of my favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, you left that wonderful cabinet? Really? I understand though.. I've done that before. But I am sure you will find something equally as wonderful. Was that leaded glass? LOL.. I love flea markets,antiquing. looking for just the right piece. You still had a great time, right? hugs.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun!!! Thanks so much for mentioning this, I haven't heard of it before, but we'll have to check it out- love a good flea market! That's funny as I will have those days too- where you see a lot of things you like, but just aren't in the mood to buy them for some reason. Dan always asks me if we'll be driving back the next day to buy it;) as we've done that before! Most recently was an antique rug (not expensive) that I left in Pawtucket! Drove back several days later just to get it! I have a "very" nice husband!!! :)
    xojoan

    p.s. Ella sends Kipper (love his name!) a wag!

    ReplyDelete