Monday, May 28, 2012

My Schumacher Chair and Some Art

Remember that I Stole a Schumacher Chair?  I finished it within two weeks, but hadn't put the bottom cover on until the other day, so I've been dragging my feet about posting it.  Today -- the big reveal.

Here she is before, in her new spot...


F. Schumacher chair, F. Schumacher linen (maybe 20 yrs old?)

And, here she it today, on this lovely Memorial Day...




I'm going to bore you with modeling her at another angle because I am so happy with the way she turned out, and because, quite frankly, reupholstery is a ton of hard, patient work. :)




Keep in mind, my living room is in the process of a redo, hence the naked windows.  (You know how I dislike a bare window.)

I'm thinking about this ROMO fabric for a summer pillow.  Just waiting for the fabric to come in to whip it up with some great trim....




If you wonder what differences there really are between high-end upholstery and its low-end counterpart, here is one of the things to look for...




Most better quality upholstery will have hold-downs (my fancy term) on the seat cushion, with a corresponding clasp on the frame to keep cushions in place.  Here, I replicated what was on the original, and made sure to expose the clasp when I redid the decking. (Lousy picture.)




I'm kind of a freak about making sure things I do don't look homemade.  I prefer to think I am a perfectionist rather than a snob.  That said, if you are thinking about reupholstering anything that has a welt or cushion, you really do need to know how to sew (or get someone to do that part for you :)


In other news, my girls went on their first solo trips to opposite ends of the country this weekend.  As a welcome back surprise, I framed some of their artwork that I've been wanting to get done.




One did this pen and ink, and they each did one of the marker black and whites below.  I'm hoping they will love this addition to our walls!



There's nothing like original artwork, especially when it's done by someone you love.

Hope you've had a fabulous weekend.  Talk to you soon,

Carol

Need help finding the perfect piece for your home?  Contact me about my services.


6 comments:

  1. First of all, that chair looks AWESOME! I can't believe you can do that. It's one thing I don't think I would ever attempt. It looks perfect. Love the pillow fabric too.

    Second, I can't believe the girls' artwork. Those are all REALLY good! And I agree with you. Having an emotional connection to artwork makes it really special. They're very talented. I hope that they pursue that talent at least a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chair looks truly spectacular. And I love all the close-up pictures. That fabric is gorgeous!

    Your daughters are SO talented! Their art is perfect for your house. I hope they create more pieces for you to keep. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that chair and the color is fabulous. Wow what a talent to be able to do that. I do have those clips on my red sofa in the sitting room. It is a Clayton-Marcus, but my Sherrill pieces in the great room do not have them and they were a lot more. I had never seen the clips before until I got that one. Your children's art is amazing. Truly very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree on personal artwork! One of my favorite pieces is done by our son. Love, love, LOVE the chair. You did awesome. Welting and piping are certainly something to not learn while upholstering! Yours looks fabulous. I cannot wait to see the rest of the room. have a blessed week, xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, what an amazing job you did! You are so talented. That chair is just gorgeous. Love the artwork too. You're right, it's just so special when done by someone you love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a really great job with that chair Carol - it looks awesome and a beautiful fabric you chose too. And your daughters are certainly talented with that artwork you've framed - how special to have those displayed in your home. My little one does many art projects at school and there are a few I've picked out that I would like to display. Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete