Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I Stole A Schumacher Chair

Okay, I didn't really steal it, but when I found this Schumacher classic English arm chair at an estate sale back in the fall, I felt like I did!  Yes, it came home with me for a mere $300 dollars.






Schumacher has a line of furniture built like tanks, with a price tag to match.  This was a major score, people.  I am still dancing a jig.  I love classic lines.

I figure the Schumacher linen on it is from the 80's, which cracks me up because the colors are still/now current.  Anyway, as I can never leave well enough alone, I'm in the process of reupholstering it myself.  These are the fabrics I am using for the re-do of my living room...



Don't hate me.  This is actually a current, spring green Highland Court fabric that I scored last week for $60 to do the whole chair.  In person, the hand on this is exquisite.  I am doing my living room all in green, with cream and black drapes (haven't figured out that fabric yet).  Not only did I score this fabric, but this Kravet Ikat (same kind of pricing) is going on my French chair...


Again, in person, these fabrics are perfect together.  My tufted sofa is going a deeper green in velvet.

But I digress from my chair.  I started the reupholstery progress this weekend, pulling out 7 million, 4 hundred and 82 staples.  Okay, an exaggeration, maybe, but if you've done it, you know that's what it feels like.  Here are some shots of my progress over the last three days...






Don't freak -- the old rug is not part of the plan. :)  Anyway, I impatiently took the cushion cover apart and the inside back to use as a pattern.


I've checked and retied a few springs...



This morning, this is what it looks like (bad lighting).  I sewed the inside back with the welt yesterday, and here it is making sure it fits.


I'm beside myself excited with the plan for the living room, and with these crazy scores.  That's what I've been up to lately, in my spare 5 minutes of time.  Have you ever attempted serious reupholstery?

Stay tuned...
Carol


Need help redoing your living room?  Contact me here -- I'd love to help.

7 comments:

  1. Lucky you!! what a great find on that chair. It's exactly the style for which I've been looking... my search continues. Green.. we are soul sisters, although my sweet husband doesn't like green, but if he were to take some notice he would see how much green there is. I love your idea with the black drapes.. wow that will be a wonderful room. Can't wait to see it finished.

    No, somewhere I do have the book i purchased on upholstery.. not attempted it yet. but I have a perfect chair in the garage awaiting my attention! I think I'll have to get it out and remove the fabric to use as a pattern.. but then there is the where to find and what to look for fabric issue!!

    xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you're doing this yourself. I'm very impressed. LOVE both fabrics, the linen looks gorgeous!

    How did you know it was Schumacher?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see it. I wish I new how to do that. Have to hire a professional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new to your blog, it is great.
    That was quite a score... doesn't happen very often but when it does... oh boy , I was doing a little jig for you myself!
    Can't wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a chair that needs to upholstered, but there is no way I'm going to tackle it on my own. It has deep tufted pleats in the back that I love, and I know that's just too much for a first time project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have NEVER attempted to do this....I think it would stress me out totally. I remember that Schumacher fabric...and I have used that very Kravel ikat in the cream color for a wing back chair! Can't wait to see the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how is the chair coming? we would love to see more photos!

    ReplyDelete