Saturday, May 5, 2012

Before and After: Bar Chest

I found this bar chest in a thrift store a couple of years ago for a whopping $25.  An envelope inside with some parts for the "wine hose" (don't ask) was dated 1964.  Hmmm.  A very good year.  Meant to be.




Though she wasn't a very attractive girl, I saw potential for the space I needed to fill in my living room, which I'm currently working on to transform into a green/cream/black look.  With a bit of sanding, priming and spraying, she's taken her spot in the room and looks like this...



My lame 3 second styling of the top aside, check her out now.  You know I like a bit of French in my home.  There will, in the next few months, be cream drapes with black banding on the windows flanking her, and the green chair I'm working on will be to her left.

As far as the bar part goes, here's the before...




Can't you just see the shot glasses in the holes and a 1960's - 70's party happening around her? The cut out in the back has a box below it to hold wine bottles or something.  I will probably never use it as a bar, but I did buy it thinking it's perfect as a liquor cabinet. (Anyone else a vodka tonic fan?)

Again, with a 3 second styling for the picture, here she is after...




I'm happy with how she turned out, and I always feel good about giving an old piece new life.  It's not about the price tag, really, it's about the process.  I have been a DIY'r my entire life.  I can see me still doing this kind of stuff for the next half of my forever.

Hope you find something that inspires you to give it a new life.  In the meantime, have a great weekend,

Carol

Want help with  creating a home that inspires you?  See how I can help here.














9 comments:

  1. Oh...I love her! I would have snapped her up too. I've been looking for a piece just like this. I think it's so cool with all it's bar details. It looks fabulous all set up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a piece that I probably would have immediately dismissed but it turned out great. What fun it would be open that up and have a party. A real conversation piece really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's always great to see a piece of furniture get a face lift... we all could use a little boost now and then!
    Beautiful job, I'll take a gin and tonic:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely an amazing transformation. I Love it's purpose. And like it sooo much better in black. It will make a great piece for your new living room. It's just going to be fabulous.. vodka tonic??? xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is beautiful! And all of $25? Can't wait to see the new drapes either - will be SUCH a pretty room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite the handsome piece you've brought to life Carol, I love it! I used to be a vodka tonic fan, but now I'm just a beer and wine girl for the most part. That's such a fun piece of furniture and looks great in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great. 25 dollars? Great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the transformation! And how you styled it too :)
    x Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job on styling....and who doesn't love something black in a room!

    ReplyDelete