Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Top Tablescape and Ambience Tips

I.  Love.  Doing.  Tablescapes.  I just do.  Last weekend, I did one for the wedding shower I had for my niece.  In my book, there are some tablescape and room must-do's that are worth talking about. 



1.  Layer and vary the height of the objects on the table.  This is critical to a successful buffet table.  To get the effect, cover your table with one tablecloth, and then put various objects (bake ware, boxes, cake plates, or whatever you've got) on the table underneath a second tablecloth or piece of fabric.  This creates all kinds of nooks and crannies to nestle festive items in.



2.  Use something unexpected as the centerpiece.  In the image above, this person used an egg tree.  Isn't that so much more inviting that a bouquet of flowers in the middle of the table with a bunch of boring, one level, pastries?

Here's a centerpiece I really love...  I can just see a buffet table layered with coffees, teas, and exotic food with this on the table...




Here, I used a picture of the engaged couple as my centerpiece...


3. Repeat a color or element several times (in odd number).  Look back at the 3 images above.  The flowers are consistent in color and vary in height.  You can use many different things as your repeated element, again offering the unexpected.  Above, I used the shower favors, white boxes of truffles with pink ribbon, in groups of three around the other elements on the table.




4.  Incorporate lots of texture.  A successful tablescape always has varying and interesting textures.  Think of the table the same way you think of decorating a room.  Shiny, smooth, rough, etc.  The keys to visual delight.  This image above is a magnificent example of using texture for incredible success.
The image below is a gorgeous use of a repeated element (color) combined with texture.  Soooo inviting.




5.  Use lighting to enhance the ambiance of your table.  Whether you decorate your chandelier, use tons of candles, or add creative lighting like the image below, adding the right ambiance and going that little extra step will make your guest feel that much more special.




So, there's my top five tips.  Hope you find them helpful.

On a completely different subject, my blog buddy Steve from An Urban Cottage is guest blogging for New England Home magazine today.  Check it out.  You are guaranteed to learn something about architecture you didn't know! :)

Talk to you soon,
Carol

4 comments:

  1. You did a lovely table, Carol. Such pretty colors too. These are great tips. I love seeing some texture on a tabletop too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such great tips.i love doing tables, too, but never thought about them this way...so helpful!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tablescaping too and I agree with you on those tips. I love use things unexpected and of varying heights...lots of texture to!

    You've shown some beautiful tables here!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great tips...and all of the tables are georgous. I love the hanging bulbs in the last photo ~ wonderful! Have a super day.

    ReplyDelete