Sunday, August 7, 2011

On the Side: Sorbet Cake

I don't know where my friend Karen got this recipe, or if she made it up herself, but check out this incredible cake she assembled in my kitchen last night (I had some designer/foodie friends over -- what a combo!)





Forgive the less than fabulous picture of this to-die-for dessert, but I took it outside on my candle-lit deck, and the lighting doesn't do it justice!  It's a towering, seven layers of refreshing summer heaven. 

To make it, Karen baked a simple yellow layer cake, and cut each round layer in half to end up with four thinner layers.  She then alternated the cake layers (starting with cake on the bottom), with three different flavored layers of sorbet.  (She had let the sorbet melt in the same round cake pans, lined with foil, making each into a 1/2" thick disc.  She kept them frozen right up until she assembled the cake.  I guess she must have 3 cake pans.  She made the sorbet layers ahead of time, naturally).  Also, ahead of time, she melted some peach preserves with a dash of water to make the finishing glaze.  Oh, and Karen used lemon, raspberry and mango sorbets, but you can use whatever you like.

After assembling the layers, she adorned the top with her favorite fruits, and then drizzled on the peach glaze.  Out of this world, people.  Really!  I can't wait to try this myself for a family cook-out next weekend.

Any questions?  Send me an email :)

Talk to you soon,
Carol

2 comments:

  1. Wow! How yummy can you get...this looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I love raspberry and mango together.
    Looks really good, even in candlelight.

    ReplyDelete