Sunday, July 31, 2011

Newport, RI in Pictures

Does it get to you, too, the slow breeze of the summer, the heat on your back?  Does your world stop spinning, just for a while?  Do you feel your heart beat back to a normal pace, all because of the quiet of the mornings or the warmth of the evenings? 




Summer is my favorite time of year, perhaps because of the beauty of it, perhaps because it seems so fleeting in New England.

Once again, we spent a week in Newport, RI, one of my favorite places at any time of the year.  Come with me for a stroll this summer's day.  The doors beckon, the harbor calls you, the shops invite you.




This street we are on is lined with homes whose history is worn on their shutters, where the view past the neighbor opposite looks like this...




Victorians painted like gingerbread houses sit among the stately and story-weary Colonials, all along the old brick sidewalks and the narrow streets.










There is serenity in this neighborhood this summer morning.  It is quiet.  It is early.  I hear the seagulls flying high over the water.






American flags are in window boxes, on sea walls, over doorways.  Patriotism whispers on these streets.





Every home says something.





 The gates and the gardens...they enchant.









 Even the neighborhood church, just as it stood in 1875, lures you with gardens...




 It seems every driveway, no matter how small, is dressed with a garden on its side...




 Now that the sun is high, it's time to go into town.  Ice coffee is on my mind, and I'll show you my favorite spot...




Through this row of shops, and up on the corner, I stop for my drink and walk on (I shouldn't show you this, it gets crowded enough!)...




Tired yet?  Just a bit left to see...  I'll share my favorite places where you might find me, when you walk these streets...





This quaint British shop where I always look for something for my man (we are both a bit anglophile...)




Speaking of the Brits, you will see a few represented in the neighborhoods, here and there (this house is far off from this shop, but they do look alike)...




And then we walk past Busker's, my favorite pub for fish and chips (remember I am a foodie, and I tell you these are the best in Newport...)




And then there is the best place for a lobster roll, just down the block...




And now  I show you our treasured little joint for $1 raw bar in the late afternoons.  Fancy it is not, but cold beer and oysters win us over, and the view of the harbour out those little windows is worth everything.



Summer is spectacular no matter where you are.  But if you find yourself in Newport, walk through the neighborhoods.  They have an affect you can feel.  And stop into one of these places and say hello to me.  Chances are, I'll be there.
I hope you are enjoying your summer, too!

Talk to you soon (with design in mind!),

Carol



 

6 comments:

  1. Hello Carol

    What a delightful tour you took me on through Newport. I have not been there until now. Thank you for the joy this brought to me.
    Your photos and story is beautifully woven with love and passion for this little gem of a town/city.
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very nice. I've been there a few times to tour the mansions but this is a part of the city I've never experienced. Me thinks I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! You really captured the feel of that lovely seaside town. I haven't been there in a few years but would love to go there for some clam chowder soon!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like such a lovely town with a great history. I'm glad you had such a fantastic time!
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Beautiful town! I love these towns. So much character it's like being on vacation all the time.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a dream! I have always wanted to visit that part of the country. Everything is just picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete