Thursday, April 17, 2014

One Room Challenge Week Three -- The Wall and Other Good Stuff

Week 3 and things are happening...




 Let me just put this out there about the One Room Challenge Link Up -- it's kicking.my.butt. !!  But, despite the mind games (should I do this or that), the long nights (till midnight painting and debating things) the dedication (standing in pouring, driving rain outside of Home Depot buying herbs before the next post), I have to admit I'm loving it!!  Let's see if I still say that by week 6 ;-)




To review, we left off last week with the grand accomplishment of new paint.  Not much.   But with my strong, bossy, orangey cabinets and woodwork, I needed a color that would stand up to them and push back for equal billing. Yet play nice.  I think it's working. Saturated color rules.

Next, my what-to-do-with-it-for-seven-years wall now is a true reflection of our home and our family...




Week One I showed you the brown and white watercolor inspiration for the entire room.  I confess I had no clever process to hanging these pieces.  I started with the shelves on the far left, hung the two watercolors, and then just filled in the spaces with things I had and things I found.  I eyeballed it.  I didn't want perfect. (Ok, not really, I just didn't want to measure, lol).   Here's a close up.




When I thought about what I wanted on this wall, here was my check list:

Inspiration pieces
Family photo because we eat together for family meals
A clock because we don't have one
Herbs because I've been wanting them inside for years
Stuff I love to look at all the time
My girl's artwork because we're proud of them

My list is checked, but I know I will be tweaking up until the end.  For example, the shelves to the left are a thorn -- do I stuff them or keep them simple?  (Don't mind the store pots -- I literally put them up there and played with the shelves while I was soaking wet from shopping in the rain.  Haven't found pots yet.)  Got an opinion?



Don't worry, they'll change!

In other news, I scraped the old wallpaper backsplash off in prep for my husband installing the new ivory subway tile last weekend.




But.  It didn't happen.

Why?  Well, when I got done scraping and stood back, visualizing the new ivory subway tile against the lame old blue-gray formica, and thinking how I would love a soapstone countertop for great contrast, my husband called, and says, "didn't you want new countertops?"  WHAT?!  So naturally I said "yeesssss, but we decided not to spend much..."  Him: "Well, if we're doing tile, it's kind of dumb not to do new formica to hold us over."  Say no more.  Not 45 minutes later I was paying for soapstone colored formica at Home Depot.  Done!

My process on this?
1.   I went with inexepensive tile because the wallpaper I chose was acutally more expensive.

2.  Formica gives us a new look and let's us save for the future remodel.

And, check this out -- I've had this image in my favorites file for a while because I love it.  So me, so good for my house... (I'm sorry, I don't know the designer!!)





Now, with the blackish new countertops on order, ivory accents, and honey cabinets, I may actually be getting close to having a similar room...





EEEEKKKKKK!!!  So. excited!!

More mood things...



Sooo.  There are other things going on, but I think this post is long enough, will all the other projects you'll want to check out on Calling it Home, so I will save them for next time.  But if you want sneak peeks here are there, follow me on Instagram (@6Wilson).  I'd love to have you follow along!

Up next:  1.  Working with my husband to install the countertops and tile (pray for peace ;-)
                2.  Creating a new island.

Ooohhh, putting that in writing feels scary!  See you soon,


30 comments:

  1. You have pictures on the wall!!?? I feel so behind! After working with my husband on our floors for a week, there is a glimmer of hope that your relationship with remain intact!! It actually wasn't half bad. Looking forward to seeing this room complete. Kitchens are always my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, to make you feel better....I feel exactly the same way about the ORC. You will feel so good at week 7 when there are no posts, and you just relax and enjoy. I can't wait to see your countertops. I love that gallery wall, and for the shelves, I'm a simple girl. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a success! Love what you've done @6Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its going to look so nice with the new counters! I love the fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So smart to get the new countertops....it is really going to help with your vision of the room! The backsplash will be so good with the dark now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE LOVE the way that wall turned out...loving that metal shelving rack!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gallery wall looks amazing! My vote is for simpler styling of the shelves. This kitchen is going to be awesome. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is so exciting and Im so envious! Your kitchen is going to look great. The paint in the DR makes sooo much difference and I love the color. Best of luck for peace in the household and getting it done! Happy Easter. xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your wall collage, it looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your gallery wall! Looking forward to seeing the subway tile and new countertops!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all of your choices. That fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your wall looks beautiful!! I love that you decided to have a family photo there because you eat meals together. And are there more romantic words than "let's get new countertops"? I don't think so! Good luck with everything this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving this. Your inspiration is amaaaaaaaazing, and I think you've made great progress (but, you know, that's coming from someone that's made even less. ha!). Wish we lived closer. I came across a set of 3 vintage ceramic bamboo pots that would make great homes for those herbs! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your gallery wall looks fabulous! And my two cents on the wall shelf is that I prefer the styling of the one of the left - it looks more intentional. I can't wait to see your tile and countertops (yay for hubs)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks fantastic! it is going to pull together so nicely. and the new countertops is the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have that inspiration bedroom photo pinned too. Great room. And looks like your kitchen will definitely have the same vibe. Can't wait to see your countertops and tile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll have to come back later to read but it's looking A-MAZING! Love the paint, love the new stuff on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all, I love your new wall color! Second, YAY for new counter tops! I can't wait to see this one completed!

    XO,
    Krista
    www.goodwillglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE your gallery wall!! I just recently finished one in our dining area as well :). I love your mood pieces too! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that painting is a great accomplishment in itself. Also, the gallery wall looks great!! Very excited for new countertops.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can't wait to see the new countertop and the tile wall!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That inspiration photo is gorgeous and your kitchen is going to turn out that way too. Have a good time with the countertop install - that's one of the few times that extra work is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks stunning! Can you tell me where you got your table & chairs? It's exactly what I've been searching for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sad to say they were Eastern Butcher Block out of Rhode Island, and the company is no longer in business. Ethan Allen has a very similar chair in all black if that helps! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  24. Cant wait to see the new counter tops...that's going to look really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I can't wait either! We are doing them this weekend (well, by "we" I mean "he"). Fingers crossed...

      Delete
  25. I am amazed by the offerings in formica these days, I'll bet your countertops are going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE the gallery wall!! Your kitchen is going to look awesome when you are finished!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Carol - what color and brand of paint did you use in the dining room?

    ReplyDelete