Sunday, April 13, 2014

Chinoiserie Blue and White to Style Your Home


You may remember this post from back in February, when I showed you the new 6 Wilson chinoiserie trays from the artists in China.  I have them back in stock, and I thought I would just copy and paste that post here as, well, let's face it, with the One Room Challenge going on, I don't have time to restyle them!!

  Are you a lover of blue and white chinoiserie?  Then you've got to see these porcelain trays...




I am going to be carrying this Chinese porcelain line when I launch 6 Wilson.com, and I am so excited about it.  These trays are handmade in China by local artists who mold them and then hand paint them.  They are heavy and substantial, not really for serving, and definitely make a statement.  I have styled them a bit to give you an idea of scale (mind you, the lamp below is only 10" wide). 


Here's the rectangle...



And the octagonal...





When I discovered these pieces, I learned that a lot of the mass produced blue and white porcelain you see in stores everywhere is actually produced using blue decals, while some is painted.  That is why the price can sometimes be very inexpensive.  I believe I will probably offer both variations -- mass produced and hand done, because each has it's place, and each offers a different aesthetic.


What I love about this more rustic line of hand done porcelain is the rich character the pieces contain,  making no two alike.  These are done in a pre-industrial setting with the rich clay of the region, where up to 8 or 9 potters and painters can collaborate to form just one piece.  These pieces are definitely not the perfect, crisp white and blue porcelain of the modern factory.  And that's what gives them their charm.  They are regional and proudly made.



If you look closely at the images above, you will see markings from tools, the imperfect lines of the painter's brush, and what I love most -- the occasional and sometimes densely spaced, tiny brown markings that appear (bottom center) in the piece after it is fired.  I'm told this is actually iron from the rich iron content of the local clay.  Some pieces will have a lot of it, some barely any.  It's all a natural process.  Here's another look.

The rectangle measures 17" x 13" x 1 1/4" and the octagonal is 15 1/2" x 15 1/2" x 1 1/4".



The bottom of these pieces is unglazed, and looks very rustic, but it so smooth...




Because the 6 Wilson.com shop won't be up and running for a few months, and I can't sell them in 6 Wilson on Etsy because I didn't make them,  you can buy them from 6 Wilson via a PayPal invoice.  Shipping is $20 (and if you are a Massachusetts resident, sales tax applies.)  You just need to email me if you want one.




Thanks for stopping by.  I hope your week is off to a great start!

Email me at Shop6Wilson@gmail.com to purchase or to ask questions.






Update:  I published this post at about midnight last night, and within 10 minutes, the octagonal tray was sold!  The rectangle is still available ;-).  If you would like to order an octagonal tray, please email me as I will be checking with  my vendor today on additional stock.
 

2 comments:

  1. oh how lovely! i'm off to measure my newly painted campaign dresser in our entryway to see if the rectangular tray will fit! cant wait til your new shop opens! please carry double happiness porcelain too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Carol! I agree, vintage is much better, more character than the latest retail versions. These pieces are sooo special. Congrats on carrying them, this should be a huge hit. Best of luck! Your styling is fabulous. xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete