Thursday, April 10, 2014

One Room Challenge: Week 2

Well, last week, before I left for High Point (the international furniture show), I got started on painting the kitchen.  If you missed week one of the ORC, click here.

Since I have to leave the cabinets as is (dated oak, you know the look, you know the husband who loves wood), I had to find a paint color that would give me the drama I was looking for, and look really great with the orangey wood and the blue-gray formica countertops that are staying.

So, bring on Benjamin Moore Galveston Gray. 

 

Here's the first coat, as it is now, as I am away this week!



 Because I am leaving the counters and cabinets as is, I want to create impact and style with color and accessories.  I've had to work with wood trim in this house and my last house (I hope I am rewarded in heaven ;-).  It's limiting.  But that's another post.  And I know there are a lot of you out there who have dated oak, too, so I'm hoping this transformation will inspire you!

Anyway, I will be bringing that taupey-gray Galveston Gray over to the other side of the kitchen through this Sanderson fabric that I've been thinking about for months and months with nowhere to use it.  Until now!!




So, this is where I ended week one.  Up next, I'm removing the wallpaper backsplash while I get the shop ready for an upcoming 6 Wilson pillow cover giveaway on a blog I love!  Woohoo!  Lots of fun going on ;-)
Come back next Thursday and see how far I've gotten!!  See you soon and thanks for following along.

  Oh!!  And click on over to Calling it Home 
to see all the other fabulous One Room Challenge Link Up Participants!

31 comments:

  1. Love the fabric, what a beautiful starting point. Also so great to see how you are working with your wood trim and oak cabinets, real world stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, yes, it is real world ;-) so I hope there are at least a few readers out there who can feel like they can embrace what they can't change and make the best of it! Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. Hi Carol, you are so busy and productive. The color is a perfect choice. I love how modern it already feels. Pretty fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda, that means a lot. I'm just loving playing along.

      Delete
  3. The wall color is very nice! That is a lot to accomplish in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the wall color! Great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. My dream fabric for this kitchen. Thanks for the love!

      Delete
  6. I believe I would have to fire that husband. Just kidding. I know you will make it all look grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I get that!! But when you love your man, and you're a true partner, well, I guess compromise is always the word ;-). Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. The color looks great and that fabric looks so good with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That fabric is going to be everything in this space, tying everything together perfectly. Good eye, Carol!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it already! Love the Sanderson as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That color is perfect. It is amazing how much just color can completely change a room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Sanderson fabric is beautiful and perfect with the paint.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The paint color brings life to your kitchen! L-O-V-E the botanical print of the fabric. Carol, I lived with wood trim for 16 years before painting it out despite the Mr.'s disapproval. He's only on board now because of all the compliments we get. So, I totally understand.... This is a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to see this Carol - real deal playing with what you have. And I love that you are bringing in that fabric. This is all going to come together nicely and all so complimentary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the gray walls and that fabric is so fresh !!!! Great looking!! Looking forward to following your progress !!! :) Lance @ Parker Kennedy

    ReplyDelete
  15. That fabric is going to look great with that wall color! What a great match.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, I'm loving the BM Gray! What a difference paint makes! You're room already looks more sophisticated and updated with the paint. I like the fabric choice too, neutral with a subtle color undertones. Now, if only we could have meet up at High Point Market. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Carol--love the fabric. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your paint choice! I know the feeling of wanting to change stuff and you can't. I am dying for a kitchen remodel to get rid of my linoleum and vinyl but it's not in the budget yet! Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carol, your new paint color looks so amazing! I've never heard of that color before so I'll have to grab a color strip of it and check it out! And that fabric is one of my favorites too - can't wait to see where you use it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carol, Whatever you choose will be fabulous!! My husband, too, loves wood. He was so hesitant about my wanting to paint our kitchen and family room. In the end, he loves the white. He says it is so much lighter. BUT, I had to keep the DARK, CHERRY wood in the ENTIRE REST OF THE HOUSE. I tried to do research on dark wood work and light walls, but no one has pictures. I ended up blending my own color to make my home look fresh and stylish without being too dated.

    Which brings me to my point: FABULOUS job on the kitchen color and fabric. Can't wait to see your finished project!!

    I love following you here and on IG!!

    xoxo,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the fabric! It matches your wall color quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the color you chose, Carol! And especially that fabric... gorgeous! Just loving this ORC and how fun it is to cheer each other on!
    Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the fabric and the color...cant wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the paint color and the fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You know I love that fabric girl!!! And that was a perfect color choice to down play the orange....I know the final reveal will wow us all!

    ReplyDelete