Sunday, July 14, 2013

Finding Great Design on Vacation



I've been on vacation since the 4th, with reality making a strong comeback Monday morning.  I'm actually excited about getting back to work, because I have so.much.going.on.  But before that happens, I want to share some pictures I've taken, first in Rockport, Mass, and then in Newport, RI.  I love seeing design everywhere I go, and I thought you might like to see it, too...





Whether design is grand or humble, in a home, restaurant or garden pot, there is always something to learn from the way a caring hand or thoughtful mind has put together color, texture and materials.















Is it a stretch to find design in the asymmetrical balance of a raspberry floating in champagne?  I think not ;-)

Now, on to Newport.

 
These copper pots in a fudge shop speak to my inner cook/designer every time I see them, from their beautiful form to their fantastic arrangement on the wall.




These two front doors just begged to be included in this post, because really, are there prettier colors for two antique colonials in a very summer town?




There were two restaurants that had me snapping my camera.  The next few are of 41North.  The design is spectacular...



These two images are in the same space, an outdoor function/lounge area...




All the white was so crisp and high-end nautical.




The next several shots are from Midtown, a new place in a totally refurbished building.  LOVE.IT.



There are three bar areas, and this my favorite, because the mood the high gloss red walls added to the entire place was just fantastic and unexpected...





Here's more of the first floor dining room...




Great texture and tones, yes?


I even though the ladies room was well done...




Great lighting, too.  Kudos to the design team on this restaurant.  They paid attention to every detail.







And, just because I love garden design, whether in a landscape or pot, I'm ending with this one of a pair of hanging pots on a beautiful store front...




I love when attention to detail is so obvious on the outside, you just have to see what's on the inside!

I hope you all are enjoying your July.  I will be back soon with project updates and other fun happenings.

Till then,
Carol


PS  To my blog friends who don't see yourself listed in my reading list, I promise it's coming!

1 comment:

  1. Great photos. It doesn't look quite so hot in the photos as I remember July 4th was.

    The bar in Newport has the best lighting! The great sconces in the bathroom with the rope mirror are ones I've considered for my kitchen. I'm pretty they're Thomas O'Brien.

    ReplyDelete