Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Beach House Colors

A few weeks back, Barbara, one of my blog readers, called me to ask if she could hire me to work on her beach house.  She has a beautiful home on Cape Cod, Massachusetts.   Been there?  It's gorgeous.




Of course, I told Barbara I would make the drive (don't hesitate to ask me, I will come!).   The only things in place in her house are some slipcovered upholstery pieces in natural duck, bedding in every room, a couple of rugs, and the pieces you'll see in the dining room.  First on the list, she wanted a paint palette for the entire house.  Here's a look at what I've suggested...

First, the foyer...




The entire house is light, airy and has a fairly open floor plan.  I wanted the colors to be light and reflective of the ocean surroundings.  I began by suggesting a much needed runner and small rug in the entry.   I'm suggesting this wool stripe, which will take a beating under sandy feet, as well as ground the color palette.




For the foyer, I'm suggesting Lighthouse Landing (all colors, Ben Moore).  It's a light, warm neutral, sort of like sand.





When you come in the front door, immediately to the left is the dining room, where I'm suggesting Sea Glass (okay, seriously, I didn't choose the colors based on the names!).  It works great off the rug, and will be beautiful with the natural linen drapes in this space...







Don't you love the chandelier?  I can't take credit -- this was all done by Barbara.  I think the Sea Glass looks a bit darker in this computer swatch.  It does have a bit of intensity, and it will pop off of and highlight the beautiful wainscoting in this room.

Barbara loves blue, as is evident by all the shades she has already put in the house.  At the end of the hallway from the foyer is the very casual living room, where this lovely rug beckons bare feet...




The wall color here will be Morning Dew, working off the blue/green/gray (depending on the light) of the middle square on the bottom row of the rug...





The light, bright white kitchen/family room is going seaside with Pale Smoke.










We are also planning window treatments for this large space, going back and forth between woven woods and fabric.  I would love to see woven woods on all windows, in a warm tone that has some lighter threads in it.  Texture in this space is an absolute must have.

That's it for now.  I'll post the bedrooms soon.

I am so ready for an escape to the beach (in warm weather!!).  How about you?

Talk to you soon,
Carol


How I can help you define the look of your home?  Check out my Design Services for the answer.

3 comments:

  1. I'd drive to cape to work on that place too. Beautiful house. The color palette is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are well on your way to creating a beautiful home! I hope we will get to see the space when it is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project Carol and a gorgeous home. I can't wait to see you work your magic in there. That back sun room/great room is really nice.

    ReplyDelete