Thursday, May 1, 2014

One Room Challenge Week 5!

Say it isn't so.  Week 5.  The home stretch.  Still have lots to do and I can't possibly drink any more coffee.  Just telling it like it is.  But guess what?  I'm only one week away from my new face-lifted kitchen!!  Woohoo!!  It's all good!!

My constant cheerleaders always looking in and wanting a cookie... My Kipper on the left and his neighbor pal.  And yes, the deck is next when this is done!!

The One Room Challenge Link Up has been amazing for this household!  I have embraced my dated cabinets that aren't changing, and the whole family is really loving the evolving look.  If you need to catch up, check out Weeks One, Two, Three and Four.

So, here's what happened this week...

I worked on the island project (converting an antique chest into a kitchen workhorse)...



And my husband tiled the back splash, then we did the grout together...










After the tile was done, my is-there-anything-he-can't-do husband had to redo our plumbing for the new single bowl sink I bought.  Who thinks about the fact that the old double sink was plumbed for two drains, and the new one would need a new center line?  I mean really, WHO thinks about this stuff when mesmerized by the attraction of a single sink??




In other news, we decided to replace the lighting over the table, and doesn't it come with part of it not wired and without some parts!   Really?  So I had some firm words with the online Home Depot and the new one will be here in two days.  Yup.  The ORC made me have to get tough.

Still on the punch list:
1.  Finish painting the island
2.  Hang the window treatment
3.  Finish the edging on the counters
4.  Hang the light
5.  Accessorize
6.  Clean till it all shines!!!! (may be the hardest part, lol)
7.  Oh shoot, and make 3 more chair pads that I didn't do last week!!!!

Now, enough of me, go check out the rest of the Link Up Participants ;-).  And don't forget the One Room Challenge official 20!  They rock ;-)

See you next Thursday for the reveal...

29 comments:

  1. Your husband is busy at work..:-) Kipper is making sure of that too..lol Good luck finishing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I love that we get to watch an expert like you pull together a kitchen even though you don't love the cabinets. The backsplash is KILLER! Especially against the counters. What a genius idea to turn that antique dresser into an island! Looks like so much work. Good luck this week! Can't wait for the reveal. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cannot wait to see that island all finished! Love the backsplash. Subway tile is so classic and looks great with the dark countertop! And those puppies. Sweetness!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol... just found you thru ORC. Your kitchen is coming along beautifully. Love the backsplash. One question about Kipper. What kind of dog is she? She looks a lot like our goldendoodle puppy. What a cutie pie. Good luck on your project. I just finished our kitchen and I'm glad its done!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good and your pups are too cute! Tile looks great and I can't wait for the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited for you Carol and I love the peeks on IG. Stay strong in the homestretch, it's gonna be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have put some fear into those Home Depot people :) You can't pay around this late in the game! I love the new tile- so white and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your husband rocks! and so does that backsplash. cant wait til next week's reveal :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see the island! I love repurposed pieces. Your tile job looks great by the way - good job to you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Carol, the subway tile looks so fresh and classic! Can you believe we're both going to have new kitchens before we know it! Fingers crossed all goes smoothly for you this week, love your cheerleaders! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL I had the opposite problem...single sink converted to double sink! Back splash looks great! Can't wait to see the final reveal :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I would have never thought of that. Hmm...the devil is in the details, I guess. The backsplash looks amazing...and I love your cheerleaders. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like your hubby did a great job...the white tile gives it a fresh looking up-date...great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've worked soo hard Carol and it shows!!! Love that white tile!! Can't wait to see it all done next week! Good luck :)
    Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So awesome! Love that subway tile! I really can't wait to see the final reveal on this!

    XO,
    Krista
    www.goodwillglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The couple that grouts together... Your backsplash looks amazing!! I'm excited to see the antique chest-turned-island and the window treatments! Such cute cheerleaders! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the subway tiles! Can't wait to see the big reveal next week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excited to see the finished product. Especially that island! Backsplash looks great!!

    Jen
    athomeinthenorthwestblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the subway tile! I can't wait to see the big reveal next week!
    Shelia
    www.houseofhighlands.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. awww.. I love your pups. And the tile. OMG. fantastico.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tile is amazing...and Kipper is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So exacted for you Carol!, and envious -your kitchen is getting done! Love your post and precious pup. Best of luck for the final push!,,, xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can I borrow your husband for a few days - he is quite the handyman! Looking so good - I can already tell it's going to be a stunner! And love your little doggie - what a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The tile is fabulous I have used subway tile in so many projects, as a matter of fact in my personal guest bathroom just two weeks ago, it's classic! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE the backsplash! This going to look fabulous. Can't wait for the reveal next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've said it before but I need to say it again, love that your husband and fam are getting into ORC with you! Can we say that subway tile is awesome! I'm dying to have that in my dream kitchen one day, white & blue of course. :) Your dogs are adorable and must be wonderful cheerleaders. It's been such a pleasure following a talented designer in this process! Looking forward to your big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loving the subway/counter tops combo. But you knew it would be fab! And so impressed that you helped the husband grout. I think my husband prefer I stay the heck out of his way! Looking forward to it (the reveal) Carol, I know it's going to be great!!

    ReplyDelete