Friday, March 7, 2014

Ironstone Inspiration with Abingdon Pottery and Falcon Ware

I LOVE ironstone.  I'm drawn to it, admire it, dream of collecting it.  But, I just don't have the space for it in my own home.  So instead,  I'm bringing you this pretty number in 6 Wilson...




 
Isn't she a beauty?  Her stamp tells me she was made sometime after 1936.   Here's another look at her...



 You can find her in the shop.

And I know you're wondering about the vases behind the pitcher, above.  Well,  I found these for you, too.  Here's one of them...




I'm bringing you two Abingdon Pottery vases.  Let me show you another image, and then I'll tell you the Abingdon story...



 Abingdon Pottery was made for several years starting in the early 1930's, in Abingdon Illinois.  Prior to making decorative pottery, Abingdon Sanitary Manufacturing Company made bathroom plumbing (not very romantic or pretty!)  When the Great Depression hit and construction demands for Abingdon's products dried up, the company reinvented itself and changed production to decorative arts pieces.  They eventually converted back around 1950, but in the meantime, they made some stunning pottery.  These vases are just one example of their gorgeous work.  You can find them here.

In other news, I've been crazy busy lately.  How've you been?  Surviving the bitter cold?  Thank goodness there seems to be a bit of a reprieve coming this weekend, maybe temps in the 40's.  And hello daylight savings, too ;-)

Oh, and I'm linking up to the Etsy marketplace at Common Ground, so come on over!

Talk to you soon,

No comments:

Post a Comment