Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Wallpaper I Love and Bathroom Plans

I'm planning a face lift for my powder room/laundry on the first floor of our 25 year old house.  It's very tired.   Like I'm yawning as I write this kind of tired.

My starting point is this Sanderson wallpaper I fell in love with the minute the rep showed it to me.
Here's the paper against my bathroom floor, which will be staying for this project...


I love the movement and scale of  the wallpaper pattern against the rigid lines of the floor tile.  The room is small, so I didn't want to get too big with the pattern, but I really wanted something fairly large and airy.    I couldn't get great lighting for the picture, so rest assured it's not as cold as it appears.  The background of the paper is a warm white, not quite true to color in this image (the bottom right of the paper is truest to the color).  All the shades of gray are a great compliment to the warmth of the wood in the space.

I think adding an aged brass sconce would be a great addition.  Here are some contenders...







I'm really excited about the lighting.  Right now, there is the cheapest, $2.95 box store flush mount that has been there since the house was built, even though I swore it would go the minute we moved in 7+ years ago.  Why do we do that to ourselves?  Live with what we hate?  Anyway, one sconce will make a huge difference in the room, as will a new ceiling fixture.

Here's a mirror I'm thinking about, but I'm not really sure yet what color direction I will go on the mirror.  I adore the lines of this one, though...


This bathroom has a window that looks onto the deck, so  privacy is a must.  I'm thinking a roman shade with a great trim.  More on that to come.   All of this is just in the "what if I did this?" stage, but I will share the final plan soon.

The need for spring definitely has me thinking about freshening up our home.  Does that happen to you at the end of the long cold winter?

6 comments:

  1. Pretty wallpaper and I love your scone choices...especially the first one! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have splendid taste carol, love the direction you are headed
    Our master bath is ghastly and I swore when we moved in this would be handled ASAP, well 20 years on.....shame on me! So yes, good question, why live with what we hate?!
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wallpaper will be awesome in there! Is that a bird on the first sconce? I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wallpaper is so pretty. Love your blog. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely spring wants me to refresh and update and plant flowers and garden and torch a few rooms and start over! Love the 2nd wall sconce like crazy. Your plans sound perfect. Have fun! xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the paper and the sconces all look fabulous. Can't wait to see more. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete