Friday, February 7, 2014

My Best Chicken Stew Recipe

     Happy weekend, everybody!  A while back, I showed my Chicken Stew on Instagram, and a follower asked me to share my recipe.  I am so not a recipe-writer, so I can't promise anything, but I thought I'd give it a go!  I am an avid cook and love to entertain.  This stew is sure to warm your party of 6 or so.





6 Wilson Chicken Stew
Time: about and hour and 15 minutes
Ingredients:
6  white potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite size chunks
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
2 boxes of Swanson organic or Whole Foods 365 Chicken Broth (only kinds I use, prefer Swanson)
1 rotisserie chicken ( a good size one), meat off the bone and torn into bite size chunks
Frozen peas
Frozen corn
Kosher salt
pepper
dried or fresh thyme
chili powder
celery seed
2 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
1 stick butter
5 tablespoons butter
Crusty Bread to serve with your stew
You will need your soup pot, plus another pot for boiling the carrots and potatoes in broth




Add the potatoes, carrots, 3 tsp dried thyme (if using fresh thyme, add more), 1 clove chopped garlic, 1 tsp celery seed,  salt and pepper to your pot filled with one box of chicken broth or stock.  I also add a piece or two of the chicken skin from the cooked chicken for extra flavor, but be sure to remove it later.  Of course, you can use homemade stock if you have it.  Bring to a boil and then turn down to medium heat until potatoes and carrots are fork tender.

While the vegetables boil, melt a pat or two of butter in your soup pot and brown you onions and garlic clove over medium to medium high heat.  When the onions start to brown, turn the heat down to medium and add in 6 tablespoons of butter to begin the roux.  Whisk the butter when it melts, and allow it to brown (this will give your stew a nice golden tone).  Now add in 5 heaping spoonfuls (I use my everyday soup spoon, but you can use a tablespoon) to the butter and quickly whisk with the butter and onions until it forms a paste.

Slowly add the second carton of stock to the roux, being careful to continually whisk the butter and flour paste (roux) so that the stock and roux combine smoothly.  It will look like the consistency of frosting until all the broth is added.  (If you don't do it slowly and keep whisking, you will end up with lumps in your broth).  Add in another tsp of thyme, a dash of chili powder, and a dash of celery seed.  Salt and pepper to taste.  If you desire more garlic, you can add a dash of garlic powder.   Whisk occasionally over medium heat for 5 minutes to make sure the flour taste cooks out.

Now add the chicken to the soup pot, and then add the carrots, potatoes and broth from the first pot.  Mix all together.  Add in the frozen peas, corn, or whatever vegetables you have on hand, to your desired thickness of the stew.  Make sure to taste test.  Under salting can be bland.

Let simmer 10 minutes for the flavors to meld.

Serve with crusty bread and enjoy ;-)



While I'm an avid cook, I don't often use recipes, and I tend to make up my own, like this one.  I don't know how my recipe-writing will translate to the finished product, so my fingers are crossed!  If you have any questions, ask me in the comments and I will help out.

Hope you enjoy it!! 
Pin it to remember it...




1 comment:

  1. Just introduced to you by Loi (Tone on Tone)- Your pillows are GORGEOUS! I'll be back to follow along! Barbara P from MA

    ReplyDelete