Thursday, September 12, 2013

Black and White Living Room Design Inspired by Pillows

Yea, this series is definitely pretty irregular.  But as I was going through the pillow inventory on 6 Wilson today, I realized I had two pretty great pillows that would work for my latest color pallet obsession -- black, white, and honey with a pop of green. 

Naturally, I had to stop everything I was doing and put a design board together.  Doesn't everyone do that?  So, here it is...



I've been in love with this Nina Campbell hydrangea wallpaper for quite some time, and it is the perfect mate to these pillows...




Add a sisal rug, a brass chandelier, two Montgomery chairs from Ethan Allen, and a Ballard Designs garden stool, and voila!

Inspiration for decorating can come from the strangest of places.  The keys to keep in mind when building around your inspiration piece(s)?

1.  Only use what you LOVE and want to look at every.single.day.

2.  Pull colors for the space from your inspiration piece.  In this case, super easy, because I knew I wanted to create the pallet I've been crazy about, so it was only three colors plus the pop of green.

3.  Make sure to add lots of texture (cut velvet black works great against smooth white linen chairs, grounded by the heavy, rough texture of sisal.)


I could go on, but those basics are enough to get started.  If your inspiration piece has lots of colors, like a piece of art might, pull out no more than THREE colors from the artwork to use in you room, and let one of those colors dominate the others.  This will help keep the room calm and cohesive.

I hope you all are enjoying the start to a lovely fall, and I plan to be back, posting with more regularity here and at CarolBeckInteriorsBlog.com.  I hope you'll come back and visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment