Sunday, July 25, 2010

Design in a Newport, RI Bed & Breakfast

In my initial post, Welcome to Sofas & Sage, I featured a black sofa and said there was a story behind the red British pillow, resting so regally on the center cushion.  It belongs, in fact, to my new acquaintance Corinna Britten, the ever lovely owner of Villa One Twenty.




My friend Ginny, who was visiting with her family during our annual family vacation to Newport, Rhode Island, told me she had to take me up to Villa One Twenty.  She went on and on about how Corinna, a very recent transplant from England (where she'd had a prior B&B in Wimbledon), had redecorated and redesigned this B&B on her own, and that I would die when I saw it.  She was right.  I did.





Corrina took the tired, heavily dressed interior and made magic happen.  The walls went from old victorian paper to clean, sophisticated colors.  No surface was spared her talents . Rugs gave way to crisp, gleaming floors and the windows have shed their winter coats.  It is now chic, sophisticated, European, more minimalist than ornate, and positively gorgeous.  A true reflection of her!! Here are a few glimpses.





Corrina told me that a crate from London was coming with treasures she has collected that would complete her design vision.  I can't wait to go back and photograph it.  And by the way, while the first floor is predominately graphic black and white, the guest rooms reflect their names of Emerald, Saphire, Ruby and Crystal (I may have forgotten one).


 


Oh, and to top it all off, not only can she design, but she is also the house chef!  Ok, so now I had to get down right jealous.  She cooks and serves breakfast for her guest in this sleek and sexy, yet somehow charming dining room off the front entry.  Designing and cooking? Come. On.  I told Corrina I think she's living one of my dreams.

Corinna Britten in the Dining Room of Villa One Twenty


So, needless to say,  you have to at least look into staying at Villa One Twenty if you are planning a trip to Newport.


I couldn't end this section of the post without this beautiful Newport night:




On The Side...

My husband and I call "Sardella's" our favorite restaurant in Newport.  We've been going there every summer for years.

I had Grilled Prosciutto-wrapped Scallops over pasta in a Pesto Cream Sauce.  The flavors were perfectly balanced.  Once I figure out how it was done, I will post my version of the recipe. 

Talk to you soon,
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment