Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Shop to Stop My Heart....

You know when you walk into a shop, or a gallery or some other place that speaks to you, and as you cross the threshold your heart just slows....and you take it in....and you wish you could stay there for hours, or maybe even move in?  That's the effect Cottage & Garden had on me.



Yes, we are still in Newport, RI on my summer vacation (see the prior two posts).  On Bridge St, to be exact.  I have walked along the streets of this town for years, but this summer, in a committed mindset to "live my life wider", (a subject for another day), I wanted to find places I hadn't been.  Off the beaten path, to be cliche.  Cottage & Garden is an eclectic mix not to be missed, and the charm just woos you in from the sidewalk
 





Here is a picture of the lovely Mrs. Lash, who just happened to be working that day, and was willing to pose in a picture taken by (me) a nutty woman  with a camera who said she was writing a blog (and with two families in tow)....



Aren't there places that just make you swoon?

On the Side...

O
n the same day, a block away, my girlfriend's husband held a camera up over a fence for me and took this shot.  I knew a paradise was to be found there.




No recipe today, just pure imagination.  Four chairs filled with the best of friends, on a day humid enough to make you wilt.  But a chilled chardonnay and a light lunch of grilled shrimp over an arugula salad, dressed in a cool, slightly buttery vinaigrette would make you forget it's nearly 98 degrees...

Talk to you soon,
Carol

2 comments:

  1. Always such fun to wonder thru shops like that...and a pleasant surprise behind the fence...we will chat again..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, I am Larisa's friend. I love your blog and I love, love, love this kind of shop. I am always on the hunt for a similar place of wonder. Definitely makes your heart swoon as soon as you enter.

    ReplyDelete